Saturday, July 26, 2014

Becoming Lady Lockwood by Jennifer Moore

Becoming Lady LockwoodBecoming Lady Lockwood by Jennifer Moore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had pretty high expectations going into this one. Not only was the cover pretty, but the plot sounded like a lot of fun. Besides that, there are already a lot of positive reviews pouring in. I thought this was an enjoyable story, I can see why everyone is enjoying it so much.

Amelia was born and raised in Jamaica. When her mother passes away she takes over their sugar plantation, despite her father’s disapproval. Then one day her father arrives from London and convinces her to marry his friend by proxy. She agrees, he leaves and a few months later she finds out she is a widow. Things get interesting when her late husband’s brother, the new Earl, arrives in Jamaica insisting on bringing her back to London with him to dispute the marriage.

Most of the story takes place on their voyage from Jamaica to London. I loved this type setting, I’ve toured a few of these old ships and it’s always fun to imagine what life would have been life for these sailors. I enjoyed that aspect of the story and thought the author did a good job of weaving the historical details into the story in an entertaining way, I didn’t feel like I was getting a history lesson.
I thought William, the new Lord Lockwood was very likable. He has all the good qualities you look for in a hero. He’s the perfect sea captain, fair in his dealings with his men. He is loyal to his shipmates and all those he considers a friend. He has integrity and a kind heart. He also has a bit of a brooding side, which can be fun. He has his doubts about Amelia, but the more time he spends with her the more begins to trust her and soon finds himself losing his heart to her. Amelia was “practically perfect in every way” and at times I wish she had been a little less…perfect. I expected her to have a big “S” on her chest. She’s not one to idle away her time and on day one is already integrating herself into the workings of the ship. From assisting the doctor to cooking in the kitchen, learning to mend the sails or charting their next course, she has her hand in just about everything. It felt a little much to me. (view spoiler)

So, I enjoyed their time on the ship, but I also enjoyed the time in London. I was glad things weren’t wrapped up completely on the ship and that they still have a few obstacles to overcome. The villain wasn’t a surprise, but I don’t think it was supposed to be. Overall, I did really enjoy this one and its one I would recommend to Regency fans. I look forward to seeing what else Ms. Moore writes next.

Content
Romance: Clean
Violence: Mild battle violence, plots of murder, etc.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!